Monday, May 23, 2011

Five years ago...

Five years ago I was graduating college, getting married, and planning on building a house in Huntington.
Well - the job I had been guaranteed fell through, the land thing didn't work out, and things with my inlaws were anything but easy. I ended up working as a teller for about 6 weeks when I randomly checked the Lufkin ISD website. Surprise, surprise! They had an english opening. I applied, interviewed - and one thing led to the other. My wedding was absolutely beautiful - magical, even.


Four years ago, 12 weeks into our marriage, I got pregnant with Braxton...and life quickly changed. On that same day, David was layed off from Lufkin Industries, building our house in Huntington quickly seem unattainable, but we were happy. Unsure about the future, but happy. I had an amazing first year at Lufkin. We moved into my parent's house and welcomed the most precious bundle of joy imaginable. We faced many, many hardships that year - but Braxton gave us such abundant joy that it was impossible to miss.
David started police academy at Angelina College and thing were looking up.

Three years ago, David was working for Nacogdoches PD, I was starting a new class at Lufkin, and Braxton was growing by leaps and bounds. We were growing closer to new people - and Michael and Mallori cemented themselves forever as our best friends. We were very involved in church and even though David's work schedule sucked - we were happy. Christmas night an incident happened that altered our life once again. New Years Day, David was informed that he was no longer needed at Nacogdoches PD - and life changed again. We rolled with the punches...but this was a devastating blow. I'll never forget the hurt in my husbands face when he walked through the doors, midnight, on new years eve. "What's wrong!?!?!? What's wrong!!!" - I learned from the night of the shooting that anytime your husband is a police officer and comes home early...it's not a good sign. "What's wrong!?!?" - my heart was racing and I was scared to death. "I...I...I didn't make it - I'm not a cop anymore" - my world changed. Not because we in the throes of unemployment again...but because my husband's heart was broken. We woke my parents up and all met in the living room. They offered comfort and encouragement. We knew that we would make it. We went down more law enforcement job paths, to no avail. David then got a job at Georgia Pacific...just until "something opened up." Little did we know, that he found a home, created a future for us far beyond what we could ever imagine. We moved out that summer, and life started again. Actually, life really did start. July 22nd, we found out that we were pregnant with our Hadley Grace.

Two years ago - David was receiving promotion after promotion. I went through some true struggles at work. But we were making it. For the first time in our lives we were truly on our own (or as on our own as our family allows). We were being so blessed! Beyond measure! David was on a business trip when my contractions with Hadley Grace started. I was terrified. Mallori went with me to the hospital. They observed us, and said that they were very worried about her. HG would be delivered March 17 - David's birthday. David came home, and we had a baby. Our family grew, our hearts grew, and life was good. We began building that dream house, too, by the way.

This year - we've attained some of the highest goals we set for ourselves. We've faced some hardships and trials at church - but it's allowed us to grow closer as a couple. It's given us the opportunity to see how loyal and amazing our friends our - protectors, defenders, good deep into their souls. David has received promotion after promotion. He's headed to Canada, Green Bay...tons of places. Our kids are a joy. Our life is good.

And just think...five years ago...we weren't too sure!

1 comment: